Monday, February 23, 2009

Nagano

Nagano is where the 1998 Winter Olympics were held. This was our first trip with ITT (Information, Tourism & Travel), a place here on base that has trips going every weekend. It was a 14hr bus ride up there. It's North East of Tokyo, and we're WAY down south.

Here is the hotel that we stayed at. We didn't take any pictures of our room but it was a weird set up. There were 4 twin size beds in the room and the bathroom seemed like it supposed to be in a trailer.






A picture of us at an Indian restaurant. We wanted to get our left overs to go. So we waived a guy down and he sneaked us some boxes, he said he had to hide it because he could get fired over it!


My ski's (that I rented from the gear issue here on base for free) and Ryans snowboard.



A picture from one the of the main lifts right outside the hotel.



Same location, just a different angle. The first day there it snowed when we were skiing but you could actually still see. I got goggles this time. Much better I might saw. The next day it was sunny, which was nice but the snow seemed harder.




Us on a lift


Me skiing. That's how I usually go down, so I keep myself from going too fast.




I like to ski much more that snowboarding because I let myself go faster and I move around much more. Plus it's easy to move around when not skiing and when you fall, it's less energy you have to use to pull yourself up.


Ryan on his board.



Snapping in



This was the second day. We were at the top of one of the peaks. It was really pretty. The park is HUGE. It's enormous!






Ryan on his board. This was a great run.



Another picture from one of the viewpoints.



Peace! The classic Japanese pose.


We had a really great time. Unfortunately Ryan was still sick and we only did half day passes because he thought he might be coming on with another pneumonia. We went up with our friends Leah and Brad and we always have fun with them. I would say the only thing I didn't like about Nagano was the food. The hotel had classic Japanese food, FISH! Yuck! for breakfast. Oh ya, and we tried to go see the snow monkeys but Ryan started to feel really bad on our bus ride out there, so we turned around.

2 comments:

Gma & Pa Haslam said...

Love the snow pics. I didn't realize that had what looks like fir trees in the mountains. Guess I never really thought about them having trees as they import most of their wood from the Pacific Northwest.

Sariah said...

This ITT place sounds really cool. I would love to be able to travel around to all these fun places. Guess I just need to wait until my kids get older!
Good for you on the skis. I heard skiing is much harder than snowboarding. I wouldn't know though, b.c I've only ever snowboarded.